Historical information about Warmley C of E School

Warmley C of E School circa 1907

Location: Church Ave. near St Barnabas Church (building survives)

On the 19th of Jan 1864 Mr Gabriel Goldney of Chippenham conveyed two rods, five perches of land to the minister and churchwardens of St Barnabas for the provision of a school.

The school was opened 12th Sept 1864 by Rev. J H Howard.
(incumbent of the parish)

Headmistress was Miss E Greenville (assisted by her brother)

There were 65 children on the 'roll', 35 boys and 30 girls.

Charges for attendance were levied at the rate of 3d a week for those children who wrote in copybooks and 2d per week for all others.

School relocated to its current site in Poplar Road North Common in 1972. The old building was taken over for more than 10 years by the New Work Trust, an adult vocational training company.


Warmley C of E School log extracts 1865 - 1867

Warmley C of E School log extracts 1868 - 1895



Please let us know if you found this page interesting.


 top of page

email us here

 designed + hosted by
Radical Solutions (Bristol)